So far in this series, we’ve reviewed the importance of writing and how it impacts your business, the different forms of business writing, and five writing tools every business should have. Today, I’m going to discuss how you can use your writing to make money for your business. You’d be surprised what options are available to you!
When people think of business writing, they often think of inner-office memos, employee manuals, recruitment collateral, and similar things. What I want to talk about are opportunities for business owners to turn their knowledge into another income stream. Here are some forms of writing that can help you achieve that:
- Books. Writing a book takes time and effort, but it’s a great way to get your knowledge down in one place. In my experience, you might not make much money on the book itself, but it lends credibility, which can lead to other lucrative opportunities. With self-publishing being an acceptable option these days, there’s nothing holding you back! Be sure to tune into this series next week for more information on this.
- Speaking engagements. Well-written speeches and presentations can also be profitable. When starting out speaking, you may have to offer your services for free, but it’s a great way to get seen in your community and to practice. Make it a priority to network at those early free engagements. You don’t know where your next opportunity will come from! Also, consider joining an organization for speakers such as the National Speakers Association (NSAspeaker.org) and take advantage of networking opportunities and getting tips on perfecting your presentations.
- Specialty Products. Consider writing scripts for and selling How-To DVDs, workbooks, or other written products that promote your company and highlight your expertise. These projects require careful planning, such as arranging for storage and shipping, so don’t forget to consider those costs when deciding if this is a route you’d like to take.
- Blogging. Some entrepreneurs make money through their blogs. Advertising is one way blogs can make your company money, as are affiliate programs, selling e-books, and offering subscribers special content if they pay a fee. For more information about blogging for money, you can check out this post on problogger.net.
- Promote Others. As I’ve mentioned before, you can also generate income through business writing by doing it indirectly through things like guest blogs or cross-promoting other speakers and authors who compliment your information and style. Work with other entrepreneurs who will cross-promote you as a way to increase your visibility and get more sales.
These are just a few of the ways that you can make money through writing. In my next post, I’ll discuss three ways you can publish your writing. If you have any additional tips you’d like to share about making money through writing, I’d love to hear from you!